What does dermatitis look like in newborns?
At the onset of the disease, the baby has areas of redness and abrasion of the skin in the groin and genitals. This is the so-called diaper rash, which progresses and spreads without treatment. Large red spots merge into large areas of irritation, skin blisters, crusts, peeling, small erosion appear. At an advanced stage, bubbles form with a cloudy liquid inside them. This suggests that a fungus or staphylococcus has joined.
Symptoms of this skin disease are recurrent inflammation on the inner thighs and buttocks of the baby. It occurs for a number of reasons:
- the wrong regime of changing diapers, the use of diapers, against which the skin rubs up to the formation of irritation;
- exposure to microbes (Escherichia coli);
- high temperature and humidity.
How to cure?
Important! Parents should pay maximum attention to prevention and take action at the first sign to prevent the spread of inflammation.
Diaper dermatitis occurs on different parts of the body, depending on the factor that provoked it. The severity of symptoms also differs.
The baby's skin in the diaper area must always be clean and dry. To prevent an increase in moisture, you need to change the diaper often and use modern products that have a special gel in the absorbent layer and a soft cellulose material in contact with the skin. They not only quickly absorb urine, but also keep it inside, preventing destructive skin contact with moisture. The diaper should be strictly sized and fixed well with fasteners. In addition, it is recommended to dress the child for the weather, to prevent overheating, and not to put tight clothes and things made of synthetic materials on him.
If the disease is noticed at the earliest stage of development, then simple actions are sufficient to eliminate it:
- you need to change the diaper often and let the baby's skin breathe. Maximum exposure to air is the safest and most reliable method of treatment. If the room is warm, the baby can even be left to sleep with the lower body exposed.
- during a diaper change, the skin should be cleaned, lubricated with special creams or powdered with powder. Excessive dusting should not be allowed, in which the powder crumbles.
- skin areas affected by dermatitis are treated with baby ointments.
Some forms of the disease require the use of local steroids, antiviral, antibacterial agents. Parents should definitely consult a dermatologist to prescribe the correct treatment.